America's Largest Veterans Service Organization

myLegion.org Icon
Social IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial Icons



Voting Registration

Absentee Voting

Military Serving Overseas


Detroit City Clerk Office

Detroit City Clerk Voter Information 

The City Clerk is the Chief Elections Officer of the city and is responsible for voter registration in Detroit.


To be qualified to register and vote in the City of Detroit persons must:


Be citizens of the United States, at least 18 years of age, residents of the City and state for at least 30 days on or before the 30th day prior to primary or election day. 


Registrations may be accepted in the Department of Elections Office any secular day of the year except election days. Persons, who will become 18 years of age between the close of registration and the day following an ensuing primary or election and otherwise have the necessary qualifications, should enroll during the period registrations are in progress.

 For specific information regarding polling locations, call (313) 876-0190; or by using Publius.org search for your polling location using your name as it appears on the voter registration card.


For Further Information On:


·         Detroit City Clerk’s Office


·         Department of Elections


·         Election of Commission Office Directory


·         Petitioning the Detroit City Council


  Click Here For specific information regarding polling locations, call (313) 876-0190; or by using Publius.org search for your polling location using your name as it appears on the voter registration card.




Are You Registered To Vote?  To Find Out  Click Below

·         Voter Information Center.





To register to vote in Michigan you must be: 


  a U.S. citizen


  •   at least 18 years of age by election day


  •   a resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote


·         Click here to locate your clerk.



 PDF Download 


Where: You can register to vote for federal, state, and local elections by mail; at your county, city, or township clerk's office; or by visiting any Secretary of State branch office.


In addition, the following State agencies offer voter registration services to their clients: Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health and the Department of Career Development. Military recruitment centers also provide voter registration services.


Mail-in Forms. A mail-in voter registration form (pdf file) can be obtained here. Mail the completed form to the address indicated on the form. If you register by mail, you must vote in person at your assigned precinct the first time you vote, unless you are:


  • disabled as defined by state law


  • 60 years of age or older


  • temporarily residing overseas.


·         Outside the U.S. If you are temporarily outside the U.S., you may use a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form to register. The FPCA forms are distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she reestablishes residency here.


·         You may also register at the same time you renew your driver's license by mail. Eligible drivers receive a voter registration application in the mail with their driver's license renewal information.


Requesting an Absentee Voter Ballot



  • Download your absent voter ballot request here.


  • Send your absentee ballot request form to your local clerk.


·         How can I check on the status of my absentee ballot request?


You can check on the status of your absent voter ballot request by contacting your city or township clerk's office. Voters can obtain contact information for their clerk by using the Department's Voter Information Center. 


I am in the military. How do I register to vote and request an absentee ballot?


Members of the military and their spouses and dependents may register to vote at their last residence in Michigan. These voters are exempt from the registration deadline established for an election. The easiest way such voters can register to vote is by using a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).


The FPCA serves as both a voter registration application and an absentee ballot request. The FPCA is available online. The voter simply completes the form and mails it the clerk of the city or township where he or she last resided.


Voters can find their clerk's address by using the Department's Voter Information Center. 


To read and download PDF on Frequently Asks Questions Click Here









New Overseas Voter Services Site


The Overseas Vote Foundation (OVF) announced a new website that will provide user-friendly voter services to uniformed services members and their families.


 The new OVF website that provides the full complement of automated voter services offered by OVF including voter registration/ballot request, election official directory services, voter help desk, state-specific voter information directory, write-in ballot and My Voter Account services.




 Visit the Military.com 2008 Election Center to learn more.     



Military Voter Services


Secure, nonpartisan voter services for members of the U.S. Uniformed services and their eligible spouses and dependents.









<< Previous Page     Next Page >>